Office Supplies

Click the category below to find answers to your questions.

What is the difference between the benefits of the two dental plans?
Aside from the premium difference, the MetLife Freedom Plan provides for a higher out-of-network provider benefit than the Preferred PDP Plan.

Why haven’t I received my dental identification card?
MetLife does not issue ID cards. When scheduling your appointment with your provider, advise them your dental insurance is through MetLife.

Is there any way I can get an identification card?
If you would like to have a card, after setting up an online account with MetLife, you can:

  • Log into
  • Enter your user name and password
  • Select Print Your Dental ID Card

What is the process to enroll in group benefits?

New Hires
You will enroll through the Lawson Portal. Once you are logged into the Lawson Portal, select:

  • Bookmarks, then
  • Benefits, then
  • New Hire Enrollment

Enrollment must be completed within 31 days of your effective date. To enroll you will need to be logged onto WoodmenLife's system, either onsite or via VPN.

Annual Enrollment
Annual Enrollment takes place from November 1 through November 15. Coverage becomes effective January 1 of the following year. You will enroll through the Lawson PortalOnce you are logged into Lawson Portal you will select:

  • Bookmarks, then
  • Benefits, then
  • Benefits Enrollment

To enroll you will need to be logged onto WoodmenLife's system, either onsite or via VPN.

If you do NOT complete the Annual Enrollment process, your benefits elections will remain the same except the following:

  • HSA contributions for Select HSA participants must be elected every year.

Can I change the plan or coverage level I elected during my initial or Annual Enrollment?
Under Federal regulations, after a plan year (January – December) has started, you will not be able to change your benefit elections unless you have experience a qualifying event. These events include changes in your family status such as birth, adoption, death, or a change in your dependent’s employment status. Your election changes must be consistent with your status change brought by the qualifying event. To make a change in your benefit coverage, you must notify the Benefits Department, via phone or email, within 31 days of the event. Documentation may be required.

Is there an opportunity for me to reduce my health insurance premium?
Yes, health insurance premium reductions are available to those hired or contracted prior to July 1 who participated in the Well-being Program. Health insurance premiums are based on completion and uploading of the biometric screening. Please click here for additional program details.

How many family members are needed to satisfy the Associate Plus deductible?
The Associate Plus deductible can be satisfied by one person or a combination of family members.

Is there a list of covered contraceptives?
Yes, an updated list of covered contraceptives and methods of contraceptives is available on the BCBS website at You will click on:

  • Resources
  • Health & Wellness
  • Preventive Care

How can I find out the cost of an RX?
A resource BlueCross BlueShield makes available offers the opportunity to research the cost of a drug at a pharmacy or via mail order. The following instructions will guide you through the process.

Access the Blue Cross Blue Shield Nebraska website.

Go to:

  • Resources
  • Quick Links
  • Pharmacy Tools
  • Prescription Drug List
  • Search online formulary

Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA)

How do I submit a request to file for reimbursement from my HRA?

Mail or fax the claim form, the Explanation of Benefits (EOB) received from Blue Cross Blue Shield and the direct deposit form (if you prefer direct deposit rather than a check).
Cypress Benefit Administrators
P.O. Box 7020
Appleton, WI  54912-7020

Reimbursements will be issued weekly on Friday. Requests received by Friday will be paid the following Friday.

Explain the HRA carryover process.
If you enroll in the Select HRA the following year, 50% of your unused HRA account balance will be rolled over into an account for use during the next year to pay for qualified medical expenses.

How long do I have to file for a reimbursement under the HRA plan?
Those enrolled in the Select HRA Plan have until March 31 to file a request for reimbursement for deductible expenses incurred during the previous plan year.

How can I obtain my HRA balance?
HRA balances can be obtained by calling Cypress Benefit Administrators directly at 1-877-236-0844.

Do I have the option to have a HRA and a flexible spending account (FSA)?
When an FSA is combined with an HRA, you can use the FSA money to pay for eligible out of pocket expenses. Expenses related to medical, dental and vision care expenses can include deductibles, coinsurance, copayments, prescription drugs, and eligible over-the-counter items.

Health Savings Account (HSA)

Do prescription costs go toward the deductible on the HSA?
Yes, the cost of covered prescriptions will be applied toward the deductible and coinsurance.

Can I change my HSA contribution amount?
Yes, you may change your contribution to your HSA account at any time during the year by sending an email to Benefits_Mailbox; include your name, employee code, the change requested and effective date of the change. 

What are the HSA contribution limits?
The combined Employer and Associate contribution limits for 2019, the limits are $3,500 for Associate Only and $7,000 for Associate Plus.  For 2020, the limits are $3,550 for Associate Only and $7,100 for Associate Plus coverages.  If you are age 55 or older you are eligible to contribute and additional $1,000.

Do I have the option to have a HSA and a flexible spending account (FSA)?
Yes, when a FSA is combined with a HSA, the FSA becomes limited and the FSA money can only be used for dental and vision expenses.

What type of services are covered under the legal plan?
The most utilized services include: estate planning, family law, document review, defense and civil lawsuits, consumer protection matters, immigration matters, traffic offenses, financial matters, juvenile matters, personal injury, probate, and real estate.

What is the Access Code for Hyatt Legal? The access code for Hyatt Legal is 9901961.

What if I don’t meet passing standards for my biometric screenings?
If you have biometric results that don’t meet passing standards, you will no longer need to take action to “pass.” These measurements are for your own assessment of your health, and it is up to you and your doctor to decide how to address your results.

What if I don’t use WoodmenLife health insurance?
Those who do not use WoodmenLife group health insurance will receive a $100 well-being reimbursement for participating in the Well-being Program. We encourage all associates to submit biometric results, so they are eligible for the Preferred Tier if they need to begin using our group health insurance at any point (i.e. as a result of a qualifying event).

What are my premium options?
For health insurance rates, there will be a Standard Tier and a Preferred Tier. To receive the Preferred Tier (the lowest premium), you simply need to upload your biometric screening results to by the September 30 due date. The four biometric screening requirements (blood pressure, cholesterol, BMI, and glucose) will remain the same.

What if I was hired at WoodmenLife after July 1?
You will pay rates in the New Hire tier for both the current plan year and next plan year.  Those hired prior to June 30 will be able to qualify for lower premiums through participation in the Voluntary Well-being Program.

Why haven’t I received my vision identification card? 
VSP does not issue identification cards. When scheduling your appointment with your provider, advise them your vision insurance is through VSP.

Is there any way I can get an identification card?
Yes, you can, if you have not already registered; you will create an account at Once your account is created follow these steps:

  • Select Login at (or “Create An Account” if a first-time user)
  • Enter your user name and password
  • Select "My Member Vision Card"

Is there a claim form to file for out-of-network services?
If your provider does not file the claim on your behalf, you will need to file the claim electronically using

  • Log in to your account at (or “Create An Account” if a first-time user)
  • Claims & Reimbursement
  • Submit an Out-of-Network Claim and follow instructions.

Who is eligible for the increased match?

All associates* hired after October 1, 2006 or those who elected not to continue participating in the pension plan.

*Delta sales representatives are not eligible for any group benefits.

How do I take advantage of the increased match?

To check your current 401(k) contribution and/or increase your contribution (aka deferral percentage), log onto your participant account with Empower Retirement or call Empower Retirement at 888-411-4015. To be effective on the first check in 2019, the election will need to be completed by December 26, 2018.

Why is the match in the 401(k) plan being increased?

WoodmenLife recognized an opportunity to assist our associates in preparation for retirement, while also becoming more competitive in the marketplace to recruit and retain our most valuable resources.

How much will my paycheck change if I elect to increase my contribution to the 401(k) plan?

Payment modeling is available on Lawson ESS. Click here for step by step instructions.

Are resources available to help me project my savings?

Yes, resources are available by accessing the Retirement Income tool on the main page after logging onto Empower Retirement.  

Who should I call if I have questions regarding my retirement benefits?

Contact the Benefits Department via email ( or 800-328-2968 ext 57047 for pension related questions. Empower Retirement and the Benefits Department can address your 401(k) related questions.

How do I log in to Empower Retirement?
The first time you log on to Empower Retirement, you will need to create a username and password with the following steps:

  • Click the green Register button
  • Select I do not have a PIN tab
  • Follow the prompts to enter your personal information
  • Create a username and password

If you are not able to gain access to your account online, please contact Empower Retirement at 1-888-411-4015.

When am I eligible to contribute to the 401(k)?

All active home office associates, Regional Directors, Recruiting Sales Managers are eligible to contribute to the 401(k) following 1 month of service.

All Sales Representatives are eligible to contribute following 9 months of Alpha service.

Will new associates be enrolled at 5%?

Once eligible, new associates will be automatically enrolled at 3%. Contributions can be increased or decreased at the time of eligibility or as often as every pay period by logging onto Empower Retirement or calling Empower Retirement at 888-411-4015.

What fees do I pay with the 401(k) plan?
Click here to see associated 401(k) fees.

How can I start or change deferrals to the 401(k) plan?
Once eligible, log into your participant account at Empower Retirement or contact Empower Retirement at 1-888-411-4015 to start or make deferral changes.

How often can I change my 401(k) deferrals?
Once eligible you can change your deferrals as often as every pay period. Just log into your participant account at Empower Retirement or contact Empower Retirement at 1-888-411-4015 to make deferral changes.

Will WoodmenLife automatically increase all associates’ 401(k) contributions annually?

If you are contributing less than 10%, your contribution will be increased 1% in April. Associates will have the opportunity to opt out of this auto increase every year.

What is a Roth 401(k)?
The Roth 401(k) allows you to save money on an after-tax basis. Since this in an after-tax contribution, you pay federal and, if applicable, state and local taxes pre-contribution. Withdrawals of earnings and contributions are tax-free, if certain criteria are met.

There are many factors to consider before deciding if Roth contributions are beneficial. Most people find it appealing if they feel their tax rate will be higher at retirement, tax diversification or are unable to contribute to a Roth IRA.

Can I make both pre-tax and Roth 401(k) contributions?
Yes, you can do a combination of both pre-tax and Roth contributions up to the annual limit for the year as set by the IRS.

Where can I see more Frequently Asked Questions about the 401(k)?
Simply log in to your participant account at Empower Retirement. Once logged in you will see "FAQ" in the upper right corner next to "Tour". Click on "FAQ" and you will be able to access additional information.

Is the pension plan changing?

No. Due to the high competitive value of the pension benefit in the marketplace there are no plans to change the pension plan.

Is WoodmenLife going to open the pension plan to all associates in the future?

No. There are no plans to open the pension plan.

Is the 401(k) benefit with company contributions better than the pension benefit?

Both plans have distinct advantages. Just to name a few:

  • The 401(k) plan provides
    • an opportunity to contribute pre and/or post tax contributions which are invested at your direction in either a traditional or Roth arrangement,
    • the opportunity to withdrawal funds prior to retirement in certain situations, and
    • the ability to leave the funds to a beneficiary at the time of your death.
  • The pension plan provides
    • security from investment risk and funding which is the responsibility of WoodmenLife,
    • retirement income for your lifetime (and your spouse, if married at the time of election), and
    • the opportunity for diversified income stream and tax diversification by having both pension and 401(k) benefits.

What is the difference between a frozen benefit and actively accruing a benefit in the pension plan?

Associates hired prior to October 1, 2006 were given the opportunity to opt out of the pension plan and opt into the 401(k) plan with employer contributions. Those who opted out of the pension have a benefit that is considered frozen as it is no longer accruing a benefit.

Those who elected to remain in the pension plan continue to accrue a pension benefit. These associates can also elect to contribute pre and post-tax contributions to the 401(k) plan, however, because WoodmenLife is funding the pension benefit, associates accruing a pension benefit will not receive 401(k) contributions in the form of a match or service related contributions.

I am accruing a benefit in the pension plan, can I contribute to 401(k) plan?

Yes, you can elect to contribute pre and post-tax contributions. However, because WoodmenLife is funding your pension benefit, you will not receive 401(k) contributions in the form of a match or service related contributions.

I elected to freeze my pension benefit, can I contribute to the 401(k) plan?

Yes, you can contribute and are eligible to receive a match and service related contribution.

Can I opt out of the pension and opt into the 401(k) benefit with company contributions?

No, active participation for those accruing a benefit in the pension plan will end only in the event of termination, retirement, disability or death.

Is WoodmenLife planning to freeze or payout pension benefits in a lump sum?

No. There are no plans to freeze or payout pension benefits. 

WoodmenLife is required to report the offering of healthcare benefits and the enrollment elections for all individuals to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

As a participant who is eligible to receive health care benefits, you will receive a new tax form for each tax year (1095-C). This form will be postmarked by the deadline imposed by the Internal Revenue Service.

What is the 1095-C Form and What Does it Report?

The 1095-C reports the health care coverage that you and your dependents were offered and enrolled in during the previous tax year. You will not need to file the 1095-C with your tax return, but keep it with your other important tax documents. Other forms of documentation may also be used to provide proof of insurance coverage including:

  • insurance cards,
  • explanation of benefits
  • W-2 or payroll statements reflecting health insurance deductions (Box 12, code DD).

When reviewing the information on your form, you may notice that the “offer” amount differs from the amount of premium that you actually paid; this is because WoodmenLife is required to report the premium tier for which all participants are eligible. For WoodmenLife, that is the “Standard” premium tier amount for the coverage level in which you were enrolled.

For questions about your benefits coverage, please contact the Benefits Department at (800)328-2968 ext. 57047. Premium information can also be found on the benefits and wellness web page.

If you have any questions about how this form impacts your individual tax situation, please consult with your tax professional or visit the Health Care Information form page on the IRS web site for additional information.

For questions about WoodmenLife’s Form 1095-C, please contact the Tax Department at Ext. 7826.